Listed Building Grade I
Raby Castle, DURHAM
- Castle, built in one phase during the late 14th century and modernised in the mid 19th century. The main house is connected to a series of nine perimeter towers by short walls, and the whole sits atop a platform surrounded by another wall. On the east of the castle was a barbican (now gone), which projected from Chapel Tower.
Moving clockwise from the Kitchen Tower, which is attached to the northeast corner of the keep, the towers are: Mount Raskelf, Chapel Tower, Bulmer's Tower, Octagon Tower, Joan's Tower, Neville Gateway, Watch Tower and Clifford's Tower. The towers are all rectangular, excepting Octagon Tower and Bulmer's Tower, which is pentagonal.
The main entrance to the castle is by the Neville Gateway on the west side, whose arch is flanked by outwardly-splayed turrets of four storeys.
CASTLE, CURTAIN WALL
- Historical Background
- The 14th century Raby Castle was built and held by the powerful Neville family until Charles the 6th Earl of Westmorland's part in the Rising of the North (1569), when the castle was forfeited to the Crown. In 1626 the Vane family became the new owners, and were responsible for a great many alterations to the structure.
- 1130 Construction of fortified house.
- MID 14TH CENTURY Castle constructed for Ralph Neville.
Neville, Ralph: Commissioned works.
- 1364 Construction of chapel on east face.
- 1379 Licence to crenellate granted.
Bishop Thomas Hatfield: Prince Bishop of Durham.
- 1620 Partial demolition and rebuilding.
- 1630 Fittings from the dismantled Barnard Castle taken to Raby Castle.
- 1740 - 1751 Extensive interior alterations by Daniel Garrett. Clifford's Tower and Watch Tower were linked at first floor level by the Hunters' Gallery.
Garrett, Daniel: Architect.
- 1752 - 1760 Alterations to the interiors by James Paine.
Paine, James: Architect.
- 1767 - 1785 Alterations by John Carr. Created the east-west carriageway through the castle, necssitating the demolition of the barbican.
Carr, John: Architect.
- 1814 Interior alterations by Joseph Browne. Two rooms in the south range were converted into a library.
Browne, Joseph: Architect.
- 1843 - 1848 Alterations by William Burn. Drawing room installed in Octagon Tower. Chapel and Great Hall re-roofed.
Burn, William: Architect.
- 1864 Alterations by Austin and Johnson, including extensive refenestration and a north stair to the Great Hall.
Austin (Thomas) & Johnson (R.J.): Architectural partnership.
Austin, Thomas Hicks: Architect.
Johnson, Robert James: Architect.
- 1901 Interior of chapel restored by Pritchett.
Pritchett, J P: Architect.
- Durham County Council SMR
Images of England
Keys To The Past
- Pevsner, N. and Williamson, E. (1985) The Buildings of England: County Durham. 2nd ed., London, Yale University Press, pp.382-389
The information displayed in this page has been derived from authoritative
sources, including any referenced above. Although substantial efforts
were made to verify this information, the SINE project cannot guarantee
its correctness or completeness.